Finding the right contractor
It's not always easy to find the right contractor to work with, but here are a few things that may help.
1. Expectations. Any reputable contractor will provide a written estimate and once you agree on terms, a written contract. A contract should include specifics about the scope of the work, a bid price, and payment schedule depending on the job size.
2. Gut feeling, make sure that you get a good vibe from a potential contractor. In addition to sharing your home and space, you will spending a lot of time with them. The key to any successful project is good communication.
4. Reputation. Do your research. Do they have liability insurance? Are their employees covered under Workplace Safety & Insurance Board? Ask any other questions you feel you need answers for.
5. Qualifications. Meet face to face with the contractor. find out if the potential contractor has the knowledge and technical experience to handle your project. Can the contractor answer all your questions? Does the contractor have a team of experienced staff, licensed trades and suppliers?
5. Referrals. Word of mouth is hands down the best way to find a qualified professional contractor. Ask friends, family or the contractor for past customer referrals. Request a list of references to obtain first hand testimonials.